New York Bar Exam Scoring Information 2016-11-16T21:56:19+00:00

New York Bar Exam Passing Score

The New York bar exam scoring process involves converting a raw score into a scaled score.  In order to pass the New York Bar Exam, which is the New York Uniform Bar Exam (UBE), a bar exam applicant must score at least 266 on a 400 point scale.  If the applicant does not score at least 266, then the applicant must take the entire New York bar exam again.  No applicant can appeal a final score.

New York Bar Exam Grading

The New York Board of Law Examiners grade the answers to the six Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) questions and the two Multistate Performance Test (MPT) items pursuant to a pre-established defined formula.  The initial grading provides a raw score on the written portion of the New York bar exam.  The number of correct answers to the 200 Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) multiple choice questions determines the raw score for the MBE. The New York bar examiners then convert the two scores (of the MEE and the MPT) into scaled scores on the MBE scale, before weighing the MEE 30% and the MPT 20% and combining them with the scaled MBE score weighted 50%, to calculate the total weighted scaled scores on the same scale.

New York Bar Exam Final Score Calculation

The New York bar examiners calculate the final score on the New York bar exam by combining the applicant’s total weighted scaled scores on the New York bar exam, as follows:

  • The score on the written portion of the New York bar exam counts for 50 percent: 30 percent for the score on the MEE questions and 20 percent for the score on the MPT.
  • The score on the MBE portion counts for 50 percent.

The applicant cannot fail or pass based on the score of any one portion of the New York bar exam.  Thus, a high score on one portion of the New York bar exam may offset a low score on another portion of the New York bar exam.  Only the applicant’s total, weighted, scaled score determines whether or not the applicant passes or fails the New York bar exam.

Re-grading Score on New York Bar Exam’s Written Portion

If an applicant has an initial total, weighted scaled score of 262 through 265, then graders of the New York bar examiners (other than the initial graders) will re-read and re-grade the applicant’s answers to the written portion of the New York bar exam.  Then the applicants’ scores on the New York bar exam are recalculated to provide a final, non-appealable UBE score.