The New York bar exam fee varies depending upon several factors. Additionally, different New York bar exam fees may apply for different aspects of the application for admission. A bar exam applicant has to pay a fee in order to:
- apply to take the New York State Bar Exam;
- participate in the Laptop Program of the New York Board of Law Examiners;
- receive copies of the applicant’s answers to the New York written questions (the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) questions and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT) items) if the applicant failed the New York bar exam; or
- also receive copies of the New York bar exam’s written questions and selected applicants’ answers.
|Type of Fee||Amount of Fee|
|Bar Exam Application Fee – Did Not Study Law in Foreign Country||$250|
|Bar Exam Application Fee – Studied Law in Foreign Country||$750|
|Technology Fee/Laptop Program (Payable to Software Vendor)||$100|
|Fee for Copies of Failing Applicant’s Written Answers||$40|
|Fee for Copies of a Failing Applicants’ Written Answers, MEE and MPT Questions, and Selected Answers||$70|
|Fee for taking online New York Law Exam (NYLE)*||$27|
*No fee applies to taking the online New York Law Course (NYLC) before taking the NYLE.
New York Bar Exam Fee
- at American Bar Association approved law schools,
- at unapproved law schools, or
- by law office study; or
- because of the applicants’ participation in the Pro Bono Scholars Program.
The New York bar examiners charge a $750 fee to process applications to take the New York bar exam that are submitted by applicants qualifying for the New York bar exam because of their study of law in a foreign country.
If an applicant chooses to participate in the Laptop Program for the New York bar exam in order to take the written portion of the New York bar exam (i.e., the MEE and the MPT), then the applicant must pay a non-refundable technology fee of $100 directly to the software vendor designated for the Laptop Program by the New York bar examiners.
Fees for Failing Applicants
Copies of Essay Answers
If an applicant fails the New York bar exam by receiving a final score below 266 on a 400 point scale, then the applicant may order one set of copies of their own answers to the MEE questions and MPT items by sending his written request to the New York bar examiner’s office with a cashier’s check, certified check, or money order in the amount of the $40 fee, payable to “State Board of Law Examiners.”
Copies of Essay Answers, Questions, and Selected Answers
A failing applicant may order copies of the applicant’s MEE and MPT answers, the MEE questions and a synopsis of the MPT items, and selected applicants’ MEE and MPT answers, by sending his written request to the New York bar examiner’s office with a cashier’s check, certified check, or money order in the amount of the $70 fee, payable to “State Board of Law Examiners.”